Sunday 1 March 2015

Planning to translate a largely forgotten piece of Viking Literature...

When I was a wee lassie of about 9-10 years old, I had stumbled across a part of a story in Shuktara (those who remember this historic kids' magazine which has seen stories from many a famous people in its time). The story was a part of a novel, sort of a weekly series I think it was, about a Viking prince Francis who goes off on various adventures. I was instantly attracted.
As my inquisitiveness led me to explore more about this hunky hero (based completely on the brief descriptions in the story and my rather vivid imaginations), I found out that it was penned by Anil Bhowmick, a history teacher who had first started these stories for his students. I dug deeper and soon lost myself in the medieval world which consisted of sword plays, quick and sudden deaths, passionate romance, sacrifice for friendship. Man! If only the author was in US, the books would have already been made into a movie franchise. And would have been as popular as, if not more, the Pirates of the Caribbean.
The stories concentrate on Francis and his group of very good friends whose one passion in life in to seek the thrill of venturing into the unknown (remember it was the Middle Ages, so they didn't yet know that the earth was round) and above all Treasure Hunting. And that's what makes these stores so compelling. The combination of teen drama and treasure hunt never goes amiss! And I was completely smitten by it.
So, it pained me when I learnt that not many kids are aware of this gorgeous piece of literature.  And so I thought, what can I do from my side to make it a little more popular? And the answer came to me. I can finally maybe use my long dormant blog and start translating the novels in small portions. And this way I can also get an idea of how good am I in writing.
So friends, from next week starts my maiden effort of translating a bangla book with Scandinavian flavour to English. Please read through and encourage or ask me to shut up in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment